* In place of charm pack, you may use 5" square scrapes, fat 1/8's or fat quarters in an assortment of light to medium pink prints.
1) Select 14 light and medium pink prints from charm pack. Cut charms into quarter's (2 1/2" x 2 1/2"). A total of 56 squares
2) Cut (40) 2 1/2" square red print background pieces as shown in illustration A. Cut (2) 3 1/2" strips the width of the red print fabric. Set these 2 strips aside for now to use later for outer border.
3) Cut (2) 1" strips the width of the white print fabric for inner border. See illustration B. Set these aside for now to use later for inner border. Save remaining fabric to use for backing.
4) To make the 4 hearts, arrange the the 56 light to medium pink 2 1/2" squares and the red 2 1/2" squares on a table as shown in illustration C. Then remove 32 squares, shown here with an "X" and set aside to make half square triangle units.
5) To make half square triangle units, place one of the light or medium square prints and one red print squares together, right sides facing each other. Mark a diagonal across one square as shown in illustration D. Sew along the diagonal marking. Cut 1/4" from stitching. Repeat with remaining squares. Open as shown and press seam toward the red triangle. You will have a total of 24 half square triangle units. Place these back into your layout.
6) Remove from layout 12 squares to make one heart block. Working in rows, sew squares together, press. See illustration E. Then take these rows and sew these together as shown illustration F, press. Repeat with remaining squares. You will have a total of 4 heart blocks. Sew these together and press. See illustration G.
7) Measure the height of the finished unit completed in step 6. Cut this measurement from one of the 1" wide white print strips. Repeat with second strip. Pin and sew these to the ends of the unit, press. From the 2 remaining 1" strips cut two pieces that are the width of this unit. Pin and sew to top and bottom of unit, press. See illustration G.
8) Measure the height of the finished unit completed in step 7. Cut this measurement from one of the 3 1/2" wide red print strips. Repeat with second strip. Pin and sew these to the ends of the unit, press. From the 2 remaining 3 1/2" strips cut two pieces that are the width of this unit. Pin and sew to top and bottom of unit, press. See illustration H. Top completed.
9) Measure completed top. Cut backing and batting to this measurement. Place completed top face up on top of table, next lay backing right side facing down and then batting. See illustration I. Match up edges and pin together. Sew a 1/4" away from edges leaving about a 6" opening along one long edge. Trim corners and trim batting if needed to remove some of the bulk. Turn inside out and press along edges. Sew opening close.
10) "Stitch in the ditch" around the hearts and borders or use your favorite method of quilting to finish the table runner.
Finished size: about 29" x 11"