* A straw hat with a 2" opening for head can be used but you will still need a scrap of red felt for month of scarecrow.
1) Print pattern pieces to your printer.
2) Press dowel half way into Styrofoam ball.
3) Cut about 24 pieces of raffia 36 inches long. Fold 8 pieces of the raffia in half to find the center. Unravel about 6 to 7 inches in the center area of the raffia.
4) Place the center of one piece of the unraveled raffia on the top of the Styrofoam head as shown in Illustration A. Temporarily pin in place. Continue adding strips until you have the ball covered. Use the same pin to keep raffia strips from slipping off ball. Gather the raffia around the dowel just below the ball. Wrap a scrap piece of raffia around the raffia and dowel, secure with a knot. Add more strips if 8 pieces don't cover the ball. Set the head assembly and remaining 36" pieces aside for now.
5) Cut about 30 pieces of raffia 10 inches long. Gather the pieces together and tie a scrap piece of raffia about 1 1/2 inches away from each of the ends as shown in illustration B. These will be the arms. Cut two pieces of string about 8 inches long. Take one string and tie tightly around the middle section of the arms as shown. Make a knot.
6) Slip arms between the front pieces of raffia coming from face and the front of the dowel. Wrap remaining 36 inch long raffia pieces onto arms and dowel as shown in illustration C. Take the second piece of string and wrap around the body and arms as shown in illustration D. Tie tightly and finish off with a knot. Trim raffia at bottom so ends our even.
6) To create the legs, gather up two separate bunches of the 36 inch long raffia. Tie a scrap piece of raffia about 6 inches from the ends as shown in Illustration E.
9) To make the hat, cut two 5 1/2 inch circles from the red felt. Cut a 2 1/4 inch circle in the middle of just one of the red circles. With needle and red thread, sew a running stitch along the edge of the circle that does not have the hole in the middle. See illustration F. Pull the thread ends to gather up the circle's edges so that they are about the size of the hole in the second circle piece. Hand sew the gathered red circle piece to the inside edges of the second red circle. See illustration G. Gather the edges as you go. Attach hat with a long pin to top of scarecrows head. Set aside. NOTE: You may use a straw hat that has a 2" opening for head. Use long pins to attach to head.
10) For scarecrow's face, pin buttons on for eyes. Cut a heart shaped month out of the scape of red felt. Glue to head. See photo for placement.
11) Cut off the top of a medium sized brown paper bag about 8 inches up from bottom. Add apples and then place the scarecrow on top as shown in photo.